Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Relay For Life Recap

Friday, July 31, was the first day of Relay For Life Long Beach. It wasn’t my first time participating, BUT it was my first time volunteering. I ran the Survivor Booth, and somehow got everything together in three weeks. People absolutely loved my gift bags, yay!

The Opening Ceremonies were fun. I even had to get onstage, eek! They announced the Committee Members. Despite all of my volunteer work, I am not a fan of getting onstage LOL Then the Survivors took their lap, and we lined the track to cheer for them.

The night went on with lots of eating, music, and friends. I met so many amazing people, including Cooper. He’s a little boy going through chemo right now, and he is one of the cutest little guys you’d ever meet. I gave his mom and sister “Caregiver” buttons, and the mom a gift bag. I gave Cooper a shirt and a medal, and even I got teary-eyed! It was a very moving moment.

At 9pm, they did the Luminaria Ceremony, which is always moving and emotional. They said “if you’re here for your mother or father, light your glowstick”. I lit mine, and teared up. They went through the list: siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, then survivors. We all made a silent trip around the track with our glowsticks while a bagpiper played “Amazing Grace”. That was played at my grandpa’s funeral, and I cried the entire time.

If you ever get a chance to participate in Relay For Life, I say do it. Even if you only make one trip around the track, do it. It’s an amazing experience, and truly unique.

And I have to give a HUGE thank you to my donors:

Brianne’s Basics ~ Celebrate Recovery

Frosted Cupcakery

La Dolce Vita Spa

LB Depot For Creative Reuse

Pictures are posted at my personal blog, http://misadventuresofamommy.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India